Monday, April 14, 2008

Strawberries and Missing Bob Barker

You may or may not know that I'm sort of particular about certain parts of my weekend routine. One of those things is going to the food store. On Sundays I usually get up, get the paper and clip coupons. Then I compile my list of what we need at the store for the week, attempt to make a meal plan for dinners and then at some point during the day head off to the store. No matter how long or short my list... it seems I always end up spending $100.

Yesterday I had very few things on my list food wise (Ar is going to be out of town most of the week so I was just buying for me), so I had high hopes of it being a $60 week. But alas... the bill came out to 89 bucks. Granted I did get a lot of toiletry stuff (shampoo, listerine, razors, body wash, etc) which are pricey. But regardless I was still bummed at the price.


That being said, I usually limit my lunch outings to once a week. I bring my lunch the other 4 days, and we usually don't eat out more than once a week. So I suppose $100/week for 2 people to eat is pretty reasonable.

While we're discussing the food store, I should mention that strawberries were on sale FOUR cartons for FIVE bucks. Yes, one of them is usually around 5 bucks. You can just imagine my delight at seeing this. So I bought 3 cartons and have high hopes of finishing them soon and getting there Tuesday night to stock up on some more as sales end Tues night. The strawberry eating fest has officially begun!

I also feel that I'm now much more qualified to watch The Price is Right on my sick days after a few years of weekly grocery shopping under my belt. As a kid I could never understand how my mom would always be right on with the over or unders on random items like TUMS or Keebler Cookies. But luckily, I now find that I too am sometimes a little too close to being on target. Though I have to admit I haven't been able to bring myself to watch since Bob Barker retired. There's just something unnatural about Drew Carey holding his long skinny old school microphone. I'm sure I'll come around soon enough though....

No comments: